What are the benefits to Rotherham?
Rotherham has transformed itself over the last decade and is playing a major role in the forefront of Yorkshire’s resurgence – benefits of the proposed devolution deal will build on this strong foundation to deliver further jobs and investment.
The proposed deal will benefit the borough in a range of ways, and will support the delivery of the council’s Growth Plan. It will:
- Contribute to our target to create 10,000 new private sector jobs in Rotherham over the next ten years
- Build on the borough’s industrial heritage to build and harness manufacturing expertise for the future
- Support the further development the Advanced Manufacturing Park (AMP). Located off the M1, this is a joint venture between public and private sector organisations and an internationally recognised centre for advanced engineering, innovation, research and manufacturing excellence. The 100-acre site is home to both world-class research and manufacturing organisations, such as Boeing and Rolls Royce and smaller, emerging companies developing the next generations of cutting-edge technology.
- Improve access to super-fast broadband
- Create the ability to control buses in Rotherham and a regional ‘oyster card’ style smart ticket which will mean that people will be able to use the same ticket between different buses, trams and trains.
- Give more local control over funding for skills and training
- Support the development of local educational bases, including a £12m higher education campus with places for 1,000 students and also access to the HS2 college which will train hundreds of local people for jobs befitting directly from the development of the high speed rail
- Create more funding for affordable housing
- Allow us to work more closely with the government to help people back into work
- Bolster our profile amongst overseas investors – outside of the AMP, over 100 overseas companies have already invested in Rotherham
- Support the ongoing regeneration of the town centre
Come along to our consultation events to get any questions answered and find out more about the devolution deal.