What are the benefits to Doncaster?
As well as the benefits in the deal highlighted on this website, Doncaster would have specific local pluses.
The major benefits negotiated for Doncaster include:
- A new National Institute for Infrastructure, Construction and Engineering to be built in Doncaster (building on the new National College for High Speed Rail)
- A share of £900m over the next 30 years to spend on important economic regeneration projects to improve the borough and create jobs
Our current and future plans include:
- Completing phase 2 of the airport link road and building an airport railway station
- Road and rail improvements in the north of the borough, including an A1 to A19 link road – improving access to existing communities and enabling more land to be used for employment and housing
- A new M18 link road at junction 5, improving access to Hatfield/Stainforth (project with enable significant economic growth through new business parks, housing, education, health facilities and improvements to the Hatfield and Stainforth railway station)
- A Town Centre Gateway starting with regeneration improvements at and around the railway station and making improvements to the town centre and markets
- Supporting new developments around the town centre’s Civic and Cultural Quarter which is home to Cast theatre and Doncaster Council’s Civic Office
- Developments around the Waterfront, Marshgate and Lakeside areas. We will also produce additional economic development projects to put forward for the Sheffield City Region Investment Fund
- The ability to control buses in Doncaster and a regional ‘oyster card’ style smart ticket which will mean that people will be able to use the same ticket between different buses, trams and trains.