What are the benefits to Chesterfield?
The major benefit to Chesterfield of the Devolution Deal is a share of £900 million over the next 30 years to support the delivery of key regeneration projects, improve the skills of local people and help local businesses become more competitive.
Current and future schemes supported via Sheffield City Region include:
- Work starting in the near future on the construction of Basin Square, the commercial heart of the Chesterfield Waterside scheme.
- Funding allocated for the development of a scheme at the town centre’s Northern Gateway, increasing the attractiveness of the town for shoppers and visitors.
- Funding ring-fenced to enable the Peak Resort development to start on site, supporting the creation of a large number of new jobs.
- The development of a new Housing Investment Fund that could unlock opportunities for housing growth in places such as the Staveley and Rother Corridor.
- The establishment of the Sheffield City Region Growth Hub, providing a one-stop-shop of support for local businesses and start-ups.
- Local business access to a Sheffield City Region funding pot of £52 million, to support capital investment that creates new employment.
- The establishment of a Skills Bank providing a flexible pot of funding for businesses to provide 42,000 qualifications over the next six years. Many Chesterfield based companies have already engaged with the current ‘Skills Made Easy’ programme to take on apprentices and train their workforce.
Come along to our consultation events to get any questions answered and find out more about the devolution deal.