What are the benefits to Barnsley?
As well as the benefits in the deal highlighted on this website, Barnsley would have specific local advantages. Alongside benefitting from a share of £900m over the next 30 years to spend on important economic regeneration projects to improve the borough and create jobs, our current and future plans include:
- Ambitious £100m plans for the Better Barnsley scheme will boost regeneration and act as a catalyst for further investment in the town. Our new town centre will be vibrant, walkable and family friendly; full of opportunity and potential. It will be compact enough to be welcoming and accessible, but large enough to have a high quality market, shops, leisure and cultural facilities.
- Business park expansion to provide businesses with the right infrastructure they need to thrive, helping to attract and retain new and existing businesses, which in turn will create a more competitive private sector employment base. The development at J36 is the biggest project in Sheffield City Region.
- Future opportunities to benefit from a housing investment fund which allows more affordable homes to be built in our area.
- Potential funding from the devolved adult skills budget which will help to:
- review the current post 16 education and training led in our area
- give an increased focus on traineeships and apprenticeships
- offer better, joined up careers advice.
- Leading on Superfast South Yorkshire. Delivering the broadband infrastructure required to make South Yorkshire a well-connected and attractive place for both residents and businesses located at business parks and in enterprise zones.
- Building on the success of Enterprise Barnsley, the economic development branch of the council, business support programmes, both local and national, will be developed through the new growth hub for Sheffield City Region
- The development of the Barnsley Bus Partnership to lead on improved regulation of public transport.
Come along to our consultation events to get any questions answered and find out more about the devolution deal.