Deal in Detail
The Proposed Devolution Deal:
- 900 million of new money to drive our economic growth. That means £30m each year for 30 years which will help us improve major infrastructure, skills, innovation and business growth
- Control over the Adult Skills Budget for college and training providers – ensuring that our young people and adults get training provision that is based on local businesses. Locally designed careers advice and guidance schemes
- Control over our transport and its funding – creating a single transport budget for the City Region to invest in our priorities. We could develop bus services that serve all our local residents and connects them to jobs, retail and leisure opportunities across the whole city-region.
- Keep more business rates generated by local businesses to invest back into the SCR
- Showcase our businesses better to the UK and world markets by doing what fits best locally with how we offer support
- Innovate through the new world class facilities of the Advanced Manufacturing Innovation District and the National College for High Speed Rail.
- Better alignment of planning across the Sheffield City Region and better use of publicly owned land to enable more houses and more employment sites to be brought forward for development.
- Design and create together new local employment programmes to help residents get into work on programmes that bring together health, skills and housing services rather than nationally designed and nationally commissioned schemes.
There are other possible opportunities which the deal might pave the way for:
- the creation of a Housing Investment Fund, to build more homes
- possibly keeping all of our business rates that local businesses pay
- the development of a Science and Innovation Audit that will unlock future national innovation funding to support the Advanced Manufacturing Innovation District (and other city-region assets).